Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Why Gluten Free Flour falls short...

According to the Eosinophilic diet guidelines many of the grains available in the American diet are not suitable to ingest. Why? Many of them cause inflammation in the digestive tract, and Eosinophilic Disorder is nothing short of an inflammatory disease. So, what grains are good and what grains are bad? Many of the Gluten-Free flours contain Corn Starch, Rice Flour, and Almond Flour. None of which are tolerable for the Eosinophilic person. Well, the exception there is Rice. Rice is considered acceptable, however there are studies that show that Rice causes inflammation and that it also lacks nutritional value. Rice is full of carbohydrates and contains no protein. Need I say more? I personally avoid Rice Flour. Back to the Gluten-Free flour topic...Another problem that Eosinophilic patients run into with Gluten-Free flours is that many of them require several eggs for baking. Eggs are out of the question for people with Eosinophilic Disorder. I have done many trial and error runs with non-wheat flours and egg replacements. The results were not Blog worthy, or even edible! That being said, I thought I would spare some of you the hours of research I have spent, and money wasted on expensive organic ingredients to find the perfect match.The results? The necessary mixture for your wheat replacement flour is 30% starch to 70% grain. In my next post I will categorize safe grains and starches. I have to say that I feel like an eosinophilic pioneer woman now that I know this. I find myself dreaming about baking things! Ok maybe that's a little far fetched, but I am very excited about this find!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My squishy faced boy!

My squishy faced boy!
Photo taken by: http://www.simplytakenbytammilynn.com/