Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Multi-Grain Gluten Free Flour Mix

Finally a perfected Multi-Grain flour mix that tastes and bakes wonderfully!
Here's how you mix. 2 Parts Heavy Flour, 2 Parts Light Flour, and mixture of 2 Parts Starch. You can mix any variation of heavy to light etc. this is the mix that I think tastes the Best. After you mix this,  store it in an airtight container. Makes 9 Cups total. 



3 Cups of Quinoa Flour (light Flour)
3 Cups of Brown Rice Flour (heavy Flour)
1 1/2 Cups of Tapioca Starch
1 1/2 Cups of Potato Starch

A side note for baking. Because we are Gluten Free, we need to substitute for Gluten. In Wheat flour, Gluten acts as a gum. So, you will need to add a gum to this Gluten-Free mix when you are baking. I personally don't add it to the bulk mix, but rather mixing it into the actual batter when I bake. The rule of thumb is 1/4 tsp. gum per 1 cup of flour. I use guar gum, but xanthan gum is popular too. Just remember to add it in when you bake so that you get the same texture and consistency as wheat flour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My squishy faced boy!

My squishy faced boy!
Photo taken by: http://www.simplytakenbytammilynn.com/